Friday, January 25, 2013

This Is What Disruption Looks Like, Part III

This is cool: Y Combinator just funded its first non-profit, Watsi.
This is cooler: Paul Graham says "I've never been so excited about anything we've funded."

The startup world just shifted a bit.

This is the type of confluence between social entrepreneurship and the startup world I have been hoping for... for a long time. Great to see YC acting on the ideas from Graham's "Be Good" essay from a few years ago.


Others with similar models? Kiva and Vittana have worked in this direction for years, and Watsi's interface looks familiar.  Some parallels to Global Giving and Indiegogo, too.

This is coolest:  To see a growing number of crowdfunding applications that are built off of Mother Theresa's insight that "If I look at the mass, I will never act. If I look at the one, I will."
_______________
This Is What Disruption Looks Like, Part I
This Is What Disruption Looks Like, Part II
WSJ article from 1/28 entitled: "Non-profit Startups Are Just Like Their Counterparts." I don't agree. Guess that will be a future post.
Update: Watsi was featured in the NY Times on 4/13/13

No comments: